Versions: ST, SLT, Laramie
- 2500, three-quarter-ton, single rear wheel (SRW)
- 3500 one-ton, single rear wheel (SRW)
- 3500 one-ton, double rear wheel (DRW)
- 2500 - Reg. Cab Short Box SRW, 2500 Quad Cab Short Box SRW, 2500 Quad Cab Long Box SRW
- 3500 - Reg. Cab Long Box DRW, Quad Cab Short Box SRW, Quad Cab Long Box SRW, Quad Cab Long Box DRW
Vehicle Category: Full-Size Pickup Truck
Engine Location: Front Engine
- 5.7-liter, Single Overhead Cam, V-8 cylinder HEMI, 345-horsepower at 5,400 rpm and 375 lb-ft torque at 4,200 rpm
- 8.0-liter, Single Overhead Cam, V-10 cylinder, 305-horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 440 lb-ft torque at 2,800 rpm
- 5.9-liter, Single Overhead Cam, Inline-6 cylinder Turbodiesel Cummins, 250-horsepower at 2,900 rpm and 460 lb-ft torque at 1,400 rpm
- 5.9-liter, Single Overhead Cam, Inline-6 cylinder Turbodiesel Cummins, 305-horsepower at 2,900 rpm and 555 lb-ft torque at 1,400 rpm
Fuel Economy (city/hwy): Trucks do not receive EPA fuel economy testing. Miles Per Gallons will be very low.
Competition: Chevrolet Silverado HD, Ford F-250 Super Duty, Ford F-350 Super Duty
Redesigned and re-equipped for 2003, the new Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks offer class-leading standard V8 power and the most powerful diesel in the heavy-duty segment.
Exterior styling conforms to the redesigned Ram 1500 with stepped-hood and bold grille, while cabins -- two-door Regular Cab and four-door Quad Cab -- are new with comfortable features and new safety items like standard side-impact air bags.
The big Ram trucks ride on a new heavy-duty chassis constructed with strong hydroformed rails.
Two new transfer cases -- one with manual shifting and the other with an electric shift -- go to 4-Wheel Drive versions, with the manual-shift standard on ST and SLT and the electric unit for deluxe SLT Plus.
New rear axles help the trucks achieve best-in-class payload ratings (GVWR) up to 12,000 pounds.
Standard engine is a new 5.7-liter, HEMI V8 for an estimated 345-horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque. It links to either a manual five-speed or new electronic five-speed automatic.
Also new is an optional 5.9-liter inline-six Cummins turbo diesel that delivers 305-horsepower and 555 lb-ft of torque to rank as most powerful in the hefty league with class-leading towing capability of 23,000 lbs.
Where Built: Mexico and the USA
- 2500 and 3500 regular cab with long bed - 3
- 2500 and 3500 extended cab with short bed - 6
- 2500 and 3500 extended cab with long bed - 6
Number of Rows:
- 2500 and 3500 regular cab with long bed - 1
- 2500 and 3500 extended cab with short bed - 2
- 2500 and 3500 extended cab with long bed - 2
Crash Test Ratings: These vehicles are not tested by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety as they are supposed to be used only for work purposes and driven at very low speeds.
Length in Inches:
- 2500 and 3500 regular. cab with long bed - 229.7
- 2500 and 3500 extended cab with short bed - 227.7
- 2500 and 3500 extended cab with long bed - 249.7
Warranties: 3 years/36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper, 5 years/100,000 miles corrosion, 7 years/70,000 mile powertrain, 3 years/36,000 miles free Roadside Assistance.