Antifreeze is considered by many to be "one-size-fits-all" as most antifreeze has a distinctive lemon-lime color. However, the actual formulations can vary greatly between types. Conventional antifreeze is formulated ethylene glycol-based (EG) and can have serious health risks.
It is estimated that each year 90,000 pets and wildlife die from accidentally ingesting EG-based antifreeze. Animals are attracted to antifreeze for its sweet smell and taste. Animals, and children for that matter, can accidentally ingest antifreeze from spills, cooling-system leaks or improperly stored containers.
As an alternative, automotive chemical manufacturers have formulated a newer type of antifreeze using propylene glycol (PG) instead of EG, which is less harmful if accidentally ingested.
Safer, PG-based antifreeze provides performance and protection comparable to conventional EG-based antifreeze in four key areas of engine protection: boil over, freeze-up, corrosion and heat transfer.
PG-based antifreeze products are available nationwide, and can be the extra margin of safety to protect your pets and neighborhood wildlife.
Courtesy of the Car Care Council.